PM-KISAN Scheme completes one year on February 24, 2020
1. Over 8 crore 46 lakh farmers covered under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi
2. Central Government transfers Rs.6,000 in three tranches every year to beneficiaries
3. 24th February, 2020 is the 1st anniversary of starting of a new Central Sector Scheme, namely, the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN).
4. The scheme was started with a view to augment the income of the farmers by providing income support to all landholding farmers’ families across the country, to enable them to take care of expenses related to agriculture and allied activities as well as domestic needs.
5. The scheme is effective from 1.12.2018. The cut-off date for identification of beneficiaries with regard to their eligibility is 1.2.2019.
6. The entire responsibility of identification of beneficiaries rests with the State / UT Governments. An exclusive web-portal www.pmkisan.gov.in has been launched for the Scheme.
7. The Scheme initially provided income support to all Small and Marginal Farmers’ families across the country, holding cultivable land upto 2 hectares. However this limit is not applicable for now. Its ambit was later expanded w.e.f. 01.06.2019 to cover all farmer families in the country irrespective of the size of their land holdings.
8. Affluent farmers have been excluded from the scheme such as Income Tax payers in last assessment year, professionals like Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants etc and pensioners pensioners drawing at least Rs.10,000/- per month (excluding MTS/Class IV/Group D employees).
9. The Common Service Centres (CSCs) have also been authorized to do registration of the farmers for the Scheme upon payment of fees.
10. The total number of beneficiaries expected to be covered under the Scheme is 14 crore on the basis of the Agriculture Census, 2015-16.
11. The Union Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare has also launched a 24x7 automated IVRS based helpline for status verification. Farmers can dial 1800-11-5526 or 155261 to know the status of their application.